Monday, December 2, 2013

Fight on!!.. but not really.

Thirteen year old boys plus a culturally popular sport of boxing can produce some chaos in the classroom occasionally. Let me lay a little background information down for you first. Due to the general mass amount of energy thirteen year olds have and the fact that I don't speak Thai, on a regular basis theres at least two boys walking around the class. I'll tell them to sit down and five minutes later they're walking around again. Sometimes the boys mess around with each other too, just as you would expect. I tell them, "Hey! back to your seat!" and they go and sometimes stay there. My casual daily life with the youngsters.
Today, however, was a bit different. I had to tell these two kids to stop messing with each other like three times in twenty minutes. I figured it was a normal day, whatever you know. Can't win them all. I was helping these girls for a couple minutes. Suddenly I turn around to find the boys fighting and almost look away and think, "I'll deal with that in a second." Then I realize that they're not messing around, their eyes are filled with deadly looks. This is bad news. One kid gets hit and they separate and I'm like, "Wow that was scary for a second! Thank goodness." But the kid who got hit isn't stopping that easy and now has the other kid against the wall in a chokehold. I'm not about to jump in between two thirteen year old boys who are my same height and stronger.
I panic.
I grab a ping pong paddle (they're obsessed with ping pong. I regularly have to yell at them to stop playing in the middle of class) and slam the wooden handle on the white board and yell, "STOP IT! STOP!!"
Thank goodness for the other thirteen year old boys who are pulling the two off of each other. The one who felt the need to administer the chokehold had started crying and I tell him to go in the hall. He speaks the best English out of everyone, yet he just stares at me fuming and crying. I see that its finally settling down and the other boys are like, "They're boxing! Drop it! Shake hands!" One boy even said, "Boys!" As in 'Boys will be boys.' I was like well alright then.
While this whole thing is going on, 3 girls are pulling on my shirt trying to ask me if their work is right and the rest of the class is just sitting and doing their work casually. I think to myself, "Where am I? What is this place."
Then I go to help the girls who didn't seem to realize that I was trying to break up a fight. Turn back around and Mr. Chokehold is trying to pick up a chair while all of the other boys pull it back down to the ground. I yell, "Stop!" again and put my hand on his shoulder in an attempt to guide him to the hall and say, "You need to go in the hall. I know you can understand me. You need to cool off. Enough!" Yet again he doesn't budge.
I glance at my watch and what do you know TIMES UP! I grab my stuff. Wave goodbye and let the Thai teacher figure that one out.
I wish my biggest problem was sitting on laps and walking around the classroom.
I'm off to get myself a mass amount of chocolate and a Coca Cola because I may lack the ability to break up a fight, but I sure as hades can buy some temporary happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment