Friday, January 17, 2014

New friends and cheeseburgers

Guys I made new friends! Jonathan, one of the other teachers here, had some friends visit him who were all originally from Kentucky, but are currently working in Germany. Jonathan invited me to go to the market with them and of course I join them because a girl can only watch so many movies alone in her room (one of my favorite things to do actually). They got to see the big market in all it's glory. I brought my film camera and I am very excited for those pictures to be developed... Some day.
After the market they were all going to go play basketball under an overpass. I join them again and chat with the only girl among them named Terri. It was so much fun to just sit and watch some friends play basketball and have a full conversation with a girl. We cheered the boys on and they won every game they played, in part because they are great players, but also because Thais are not only small, but very willing to play in flip flops.
I'd forgotten how great it is to spend time with a group of people who speak the same language as you. Don't get me wrong, the Thai people I spend time with each day have become some of my favorite people in the world. However, I'm realizing how often we take for granted something as crucial as communication. I've always (okay not always) loved the written word, but I feel so foolish having forgotten how important the spoken word is as well.
Terri
My phone doesn't take very good action photos clearly... or not so clearly... get it
One serious foot bridge
After the games were won, we all convinced Jonathan to forget about lesson plans and come get dinner with us at a place called Firehouse. Jonathan, Terri, Bret, and Charlie all went there the night before, but it was so good they were going again for a second night. Since I can't deny a good food place, I was convinced almost immediately.
Seriously one of the best burgers I've ever had
Including burger places in America
It was a delicious burger place. It was amazing. Like real cheese and quality meat and they were all towering burgers. Notice in the background of the photo, Bret got a double patty one that is giant. I got the caprese burger because I'm addicted to all things caprese and it was divine. You know in movies and commercials when people can't fit their mouth around the burger? Well it happens in real life too. I must go back. The deathly paralyzing fullness that resulted upon finishing the burger and fries was well worth the bites of heaven that preceded it.
After we finished eating, there were these VW van bars all up and down the street. They were so cool with chairs on the sidewalk to sit and drink.
We spent sometime hanging by those because we didn't want the night to end. Too much fun with new friends and great food. But eventually the reality of school in the morning hit us and at 11:30 we got on bts biding our friends a great flight home the following day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment