Thursday, February 13, 2014

Open House

Yesterday was the most fun school day yet! Firstly, and most importantly, there was no class. Most of the time the thai teachers try to tell us what is going to happen, but I realize now that theres no point. They called yesterday Open House so naturally I pictured it to be something like what we Americans call open house. As I should have expected, it was way different. The second reason it was so fun were the students.
Open House here is essentially a day for each class to do a sort of project where they make something. It can be anything, food, drinks, soap, flower arrangements, toys... anything. Then they make a bunch of posters and set up their classroom to present it. All of the teachers and students go around to all the rooms and check out what everyone has made. Some sell their creations and some, the more generous group, give them away for free. Everyone had a great time. I liked walking around to my students' classrooms because it was an opportunity to speak english with them in a more conversation friendly manner.
Some guy was selling the cutest cupcakes on the sidewalk outside school for Valentine's Day
I bought two
The chocolate one was divine
They made some rice flavored water
It basically tasted exactly like if you soaked rice in water
My little M1 girls (7th graders) made a hand scrub
"Teecha it make your hand white and soft!"
I tried to joke with them and tell them I wanted my hand to be tan, but they took it very seriously
Different M1 class making some salad
Some students I don't know making mini omelets
They also created an apparent cafe outside their room
Parker with one of his lady boy students
They apparently made some sort of tea
This class had the best entry way
Some girls dressed up somewhat inappropriately, but its casual
Also BABY POWDER!!!
The soap makers or as they called themselves "The Family Bathroom"
They got pretty into decorating their rooms
People here make these flower necklace like things all the time
They hang them up in their houses and cars to make them smell good
I mostly just think they're pretty
She was super embarrassed to take a photo, but I made her
Thanks for the pickled cabbage and carrots chick

No comments:

Post a Comment