Saturday, February 8, 2014

The end is near

Due to having no school on Valentine's Day, I've had my last day of friday classes. It was so sad. I'm going to miss my students so much. While sometimes they were crazy and uninterested in what I was trying to teach (emphasis on trying), they welcomed me here so easily and naturally. Most of the time they were thrilled to see me, saying hello with smiles stretching across their faces. It was wonderful. The majority of the time I wished I could just hang out with them and chat about life instead of having them do activity 3 and without copying.
I had some pretty touching and hilarious conversations. One thing I love about communicating with the people here is that they often don't know enough words to beat around the bush. They just tell you the flat out truth unknowingly being impolite or uncomfortably forward.
The students were all filing out of the class and one boy comes up to me and says, "Teacha do you have Facebook?" and since it was my last day with them, I decided I would just say yes. His response was, "Okay, what is your name?" It was the funniest thing ever. I sort of stared at him and he handed me his phone and I typed my name in. I love when they say things like that.
I arrive to a class later that day 8 minutes late because I thought I memorized my schedule by now and spent 8 minutes waiting outside the wrong classroom. I often wonder if the students are watching me and thinking what is she doing all the time? So anyway I arrive late and this girl who often asks me to translate her uncomfortably personal conversations with her American boyfriend asks me when I go home. I tell her that I leave in march and she responds with, "Teacha no stay one year? I will miss you! Good luck!" and then began taking her exam. It was so kind and touching.
So on a regular basis the students tell me, "Teacha beautiful!" which sounds more like... Tee-cha boo-ti-ful. No matter how many times you get that from a teenager, trust me, it will always bring a smile to your face. Up until now I have only gotten it from two boy students though and on this last day with these classes I suppose they decided it was time. So I got quite the confidence booster which was nice.
This class didn't show up so I took a picture of their empty seats instead
I love the view from the classroom windows
I think it has to do with the fact that I never had windows at school
Smiles forever
"Teecha do peace!"
This class of misfits were great
I got 'I love you' from two boys and one girl so that was cool
The smartest of the smart kids
Notice they're mostly girls. 

1 comment: