Thursday, March 6, 2014

Koh Samet #2

This past weekend I went to Koh Samet again. I had to work saturday for a bit, but they let us take monday off so it worked out pretty well. The trek there took around 5 hours total to get from my apartment to the beach and this is considered a short trip. Since it was dinner time by the time we got settled on Saturday we decided to go to the best dinner place ever, Red Ginger. I got seafood fettuccine. I'm not really sure how I feel about squid in fettuccine, but sacrifices have to be made sometimes. Since I don't much enjoy going out without my girls with me, I went home after dinner to hang out by myself. Gosh Thailand is making me so lame.
Surprise! In the middle of the night I got woken up by the bathroom light and wait what is that noise? Parker (a fellow english teacher who was staying in the same room) was throwing up in the bathroom. Like 8 million more times that happened. He got food poisoning. Morning comes and he is far to sick to do anything so I buy him some water and snacks and hit the beach solo. Before the beach I had one of the worst breakfasts ever so that was a bummer, but oh well. I should have guessed the bacon would taste like diseased dog right? I got to the beach and picked my spot.
Postcard life!
I got some serious back pain from the van ride to the beach so I was thinking about getting a massage, but only if someone came up to me and asked if I wanted one. Lucky for them and me a lady came up and asked if I wanted a manicure after laughing at how chipped my nail polish was. I said nothing and pointed to the massage and said, "Can I do this?" and she said, "Oh! Yes!" It was only 250 baht for a shoulder/back/head massage. To appease my ever present money weary mind, I decided because I was getting a massage on the beach I would not buy any alcohol. Then I wondered why in gods name I hadn't thought of that before?! Brilliant! So there I was laying on a blanket on the beach having a terribly painful massage that was half painful in a good way and half painful in a painful way. She rubbed all this oil on my back and I convinced myself it would be okay to not put more sunscreen on, that I would do it later. But I forgot because I always forget everything and I got one serious sunburn. Like I got back 3 days ago and I started peeling already.
I find myself splurging on fruit when at the beach. I feel it is important to get a coconut. This is because of two fairly simple reasons. 1. You get the most bang for your buck (this point can be easily debated I know). A delicious beverage that once finished has become a nice little snack as well. 2. Because eating the snack that is fresh uncut coconut is fairly time consuming which lets be honest, when at the beach from 9am to sundown a way to pass the time is certainly welcome.
I finished like the entire book for the second time since I've been here
Also I got really embarrassed taking this photo
I left the beach early because I got too sunburnt and went back to the room. Due to Parker's sickness, I read in the room until it was too dark and then went to dinner alone. While walking to Red Ginger I was stopped by some young short Australian guy who in wanting to talk to me blocked my path and forced me to step in the street making me immediately unattracted to him. I then proceeded to my dinner place alone after I told him several times that my plans for the night involved eating a salad. I got my favorite grilled goat cheese salad and a coke. When I finished the salad the owner, this old white haired white beard Canadian guy named Roger who called me sweetheart, came and sat with me. He chatted about his life and asked about mine. It was pretty nice.
I left the next morning fairly early after eating a huge amount of mango and banana for breakfast. I was the last one to get on the van so I sat up front in the middle seat that doubled as a center console, but was mostly just a center console. Needless to say my butt was numb the entire time. I got to see the scenery though and the driver (this big thai guy wearing a Tommy Hilfiger jersey) was super nice. He asked if I was okay with a thumbs up and then shook my hand which I loved because Thai people never shake hands, it must be a western custom. So accommodating. We then continued to communicate via various hand signals and I realized that everyone can speak a little sign language. Overall the trip was not as thrilling as I had expected it to be, but it was still a good time and hey I got to eat my favorite salad and see some puppies!
He only turned around once I put my camera away.
He had a face like Sadie
Peanuts! Water!
Just kidding thats the guy with a grill and chicken in one basket and veggies and rice in the other.
Poor little dude with his leg cast
Get well soon!
Hey Buddha
Fruit city
This was the path from my "hotel room" to the main road...
The ferry dock
I almost missed my ferry because I wasn't paying attention like a dummy

No comments:

Post a Comment