Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Farewell Party

The farewell party was so early because the Chinese teachers go home... well they actually might have already left by now. It was after "school" on friday. School is in quotes because it was a finals day and so us foreign teachers were doing nothing but killing time all day. I read a lot of adolescent literature online and watched TV shows.
All of a sudden at around 3pm all this food starts arriving and I'm getting thrilled because I know I just saw two watermelons in those bags and 4 bottles of soda. There was a ton of food. Some prepared by the teachers and some bought from someone down the road selling it out of a cart somewhere. I was especially thrilled for the som tom (pronouced more like sew-m taaam). In american its called papaya salad which doesn't at all explain what it is. Its like this spicy like salad made with shredded green papaya (that tastes more like if you shredded cucumber or squash). Its hard to explain, but its pretty tasty. Usually they make it not too spicy for Americans (I really cannot understand the spice tolerance that thais have. It is seriously impressive. Like oh you just chopped up 8 thai chilies for one dish that is essentially salad? Casual.), but this lady made it more for thais. Needless to say that my tongue and throat were burning uncontrollably, yet I kept eating it because I didn't want them to think I didn't like it.
The lady making Som Tom
The assortment of food was enormous and some of it was kind of scary.
I ate some mini hot dogs, a piece of fried chicken, papaya salad and a ton of watermelon
The night was basically us chatting and eating and people singing karaoke. Normally they go to a restaurant, but one teacher really likes karaoke so he had us have it at school. I refused to sing like the party pooper I am. In my defense I am still getting over a cough. I danced for like 13 seconds though.
The teachers gave this speech about how they loved us and would miss us. It was touching. Then they gave us all these shawls. It was very kind. If I'm ever half as kind as these people, I will consider myself lucky.
It was a great little family dinner
The presents were exciting obviously
Also noticed my nose HA HA
Group photo

No comments:

Post a Comment