Thursday, October 24, 2013

Food

I've had two semi humorous events surrounding food happen. Firstly last night Jonathan (one of the other american teachers here) and I went in search of some food and we stumbled upon this giant half outdoor/half indoor buffet style restaurant. We were the only Americans at all so we had no idea whether it was a private party, a wedding, or simply a super crowded restaurant. But we go for it, you know whats the worst that could happen. We somehow get a guy to get us a table. It is the hottest moment of my Thailand experience because inside this tent-like covering are upwards of a hundred tables each with their own individual mini bbq. It was the coolest thing, but not at all cool... good joke right?
Anyway we get our food and I never know what I'm eating unless its fruit. Like cool some deep fried stuff that looks like fat? It tasted pretty good. One thing though, they had little chicken wings that were the best I've ever had, ever.
Just a couple of crabs. At first I was a bit freaked by the masses of raw fish and raw meat like chillin in huge trays, but it ended up being pretty cool cooking them right in front of our faces. Like literally I got burnt a couple times from the coals popping. The main point though is coming. Jonathon returns with a plate that looks like giant leeches (the plate sitting right in front of him in the picture) and informs me that I'm going to try liver tonight. And I'm like... "NO WAY JOSE!" but then I was like.. "okay, but only so I can say I've tried it before." So we cook these pieces of slimy black slime. Finally they're ready and I'm like okay I'll have at least one bite. And I bite in and immediately my mouth is filled with chalky cat food and it won't get out of my mouth and I feel really bad for making funny faces. And then Jonathan starts laughing and is like, "Its good! You don't like it?" and then he takes a bite and makes the same face and says, "You said it tasted like cat food so all I could think was cat food."So we decided it was probably just a cat liver.
Tonight I decided to make rice..
Classic right? Who tries to pour rice from a full 5 pound bag into a quarter of a cup measuring cup? Everyone knows you put the tiny cup into the giant bag. Funniest thing ever. The good news is, the rice ended up perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, I seriously laughed out loud reading this whole post. "chalky cat food"... Little chuck baby.

    ReplyDelete